<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://wildoakstream.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, November 11, 2011

A day to honor...

Veterans Day.

Its a day to honor and remember our military veterans.  To thank, to give respect, and reverence to those who have served this country, given their time, sacrificed their lives to keep the United States of America a free and safe country.

Veterans Day has a soft place in my heart.  Why?  Because of this man:


Col. Robert Harold Baskett of the USAF.  That's muh daddy!  Isn't he handsome?

My dad went to Virginia Tech as a member of their ROTC, graduating as an officer in the United States Air Force.  He then went on to flight school in Laredo AFB, TX.  Met my momma, and got married.  He got his masters from the University of Florida.  He flew for 15 years (about the maximum the Air Force allows), then served for 15 more years, during which he even taught at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs.




My brother and I were born somewhere along the way after that.  My dad even worked at the Pentagon for 5 years, before finally choosing an assignment in south Texas so that he could retire our family in our home state.





He followed in his daddy's footsteps.  My mom's dad was in the Air Force as well.  3 men that served our country....  My dad.  His father, Lt. Col. Robert E. Baskett.  And my mom's dad, Maj. Lawrence Prestjohn.  



My dad was the most influential person in my life.  He retired after 30 years of service in 2001.  He spent 1 year teaching high school math, before he lost a quick and tough battle with cancer.  Cancer that was directly related to his time in the flying as a combat aviator in the Vietnam war.  He was buried with full honors at the honorable Arlington National Cemetery.  My dad literally gave his life to serve.  So today, I honor him.


I honor all the veterans.  Thank you for all you've done.  Thank you for all you will do.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home